Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Darv's Chicken & Green Bean Casserole

I like to pick on Jon and tell him that I am making "white people" food aka casseroles, but the truth is that I love casseroles because you just mix a bunch of stuff together, add cheese, and bake!  My mother-in-law, Donna, passed this recipe on to me recently and I am so glad she did!  This dish was fairly uncomplicated and extremely delicious.

Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoons of smart balance butter
  • 6 tablespoons of flour
  • 1 1/2 cups fat free low sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cups (soy or fat free) milk
  • 2 teaspoons lite soy sauce
  • 2/3 cup light grated parmesan cheese
  • 8 cups green beans, cooked (fresh, frozen, or canned)
  • 2 cups coooked chicken, chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • pepper to taste
Directions:
  1. In a medium saucepan melt butter, then stir in flour, add chicken broth, milk, soy sauce, salt & pepper.
  2. Bring to a boil - cook and stir for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat.
  3. Stir in 1/3 cup parmesan cheese.  (Sauce will be thick! Do not try to thin out)
  4. Add green beans and chicken.
  5. Put into a 2 quart greased baking dish and sprinkle remaining cheese.
  6. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 15-18 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment