Sunday, September 18, 2011

Whole Wheat Beer Bread

So it's mid-September and whereas I do not imagine it will get cold in southern Georgia anytime soon, the mornings are a bit cooler which inspired me to make some comfort food!  Plus, I look for any excuse to bake.  We had this (surprisingly) tasty bread with chili and I say surprisingly because I hate beer.  A very nice stranger in the grocery store suggested I use Guinness but feel free to try other beers!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 14 ounces Guinness (or 12 ounces beer & 2 ounces water)
  • Optional glaze: 1 egg & 2 teaspoons water, beaten
Directions:
  1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Slowly stir in beer and mix just until combined. The batter will be thick.
  2. Spread in a greased 8-inch loaf pan, brush with the egg glaze if desired, and bake until golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
  3. Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and cool 10 more minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

2 comments:

  1. Tastefully Simple has really great beer bread too! In wheat too! Have you ever heard of Tastefully Simple? I like it because I'm not a cook like yourself, haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually sampled their beer bread at a Farmer's Market and was inspired to make my own! I also sampled some other goodies... that were quite tasty too! Also, your blog inspired me to make mine "cuter" so thanks!

    ReplyDelete