Sunday, September 18, 2011

Zucchini & Carrot Muffins

I know, it seems like all I ever make is carbs!  I promise I cook other things, I just don't find them interesting enough to post.  I've mentioned this before, I like to make Jon muffins to have as an easy grab-n-go snack in the morning (and it's a great excuse for me to get to bake).  But, I am a little tired of the traditional fruity muffins so I went for a veggie oriented one this week!

Makes 12 muffins
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup soy flour
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 heeping teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • ½ cup greek yogurt
  • ¾ cup egg whites
  • 1 1/2 cups grated carrot
  • 1/2 cup grated zucchini
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened dried coconut
  • ½ cup chopped walnuts 
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease muffin pan. Whisk together flours, rolled oats, flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. 
  2. In a smaller separate bowl whisk egg whites and combine with the brown sugar, honey and yogurt, mix to incorporate. 
  3. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and mix until just combined. 
  4. Stir in carrot, zucchini, coconut and walnuts. 
  5. Divide batter into muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the muffin comes out clean.  Let cool slightly, remove from muffin tins and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment