Sunday, November 13, 2011

Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Bars

Yes, I love pumpkin.  Yes, I love chocolate.  And, yes, I love  baking.  I made this recipe after church today because as we get into the month of November, I quickly feel Autumn passing us by and I want to make sure I get my fair share of pumpkin recipes in before Winter comes along (no offense peppermint and eggnog recipes).  This recipe is very healthy, very easy to make, and very tasty; Jon has already had 2 bars and I made them less than an hour ago. 

Makes about 15-20 squares

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cupwhite whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup agave (or more brown sugar) 
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup pumpkin from can
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Spray 13 x 9 pan with non-stick spray.
  3. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients – flours, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
  4. In a large bowl mix sugar, agave, apple sauce, yogurt, oil, egg whites, and vanilla until well combined. Stir in pumpkin.
  5. Slowly pour flour mix into the wet ingredients and mix well until everything is combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
  6. Pour dough evenly into the greased pan. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean when stuck into the middle of the bars (about 25-30 minutes).
  7. Cool completely, cut and lift from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment